From:
Carolina Arismendi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 21:27:19 EDT
Hi, I am writing to ask if there is anyone out there who had has any
problems with their ferrets liver enzyme levels (ALT, Bilirubin) and as
a result of that had an ultrasound done which showed abnormal tissue in
their ferrets liver.

My ferret Everest has been on a combination of Flagyl (yuck) and Actigal
to lower his original levels of ALT 458 Bilirubin .8.  A month has passed
and his levels have decreased but not enough, so my vet did an ultrasound
this past Thursday.  My vet did notice some abnormal tissue and has
recommended exploratory surgery to get a better look and do a biopsy.
( I scheduled it for this coming Friday)

Has anyone gone through these problems and surgery before ???  I'd
appreciate to hear from you on how it all went.  I am sick to my stomach
with worry and even though my vet tells me not to worry because it may
not be anything serious, I just can't help it I'm a mess.  He appears
very happy, is eating/acting normal and is playful, if it was not for his
annual bloodwork and checkup we never would have thought there was any
kind of problem.  Any words of advise would be appreciated.

Carolina and ferret Everest