From:
katharine schofield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 16:34:48 -0400
Hello everyone,

This is my first posting and unfortunately I'm posting requesting advice
regarding my ferret Billy.  Billy is 1 year and 10 months old.  He is an
albino, neuterd, male wonderful ferret.  He lives with my female sable
ferret, Sweetie, approximately the same age.  Up until now they have
never had a health problem.  They are both small for ferrets, Sweetie is
2lbs and Billy is normally 3lbs.  They do not live in a cage and get good
exercise.

Ok, over the past week I've noticed that Billy seems to be losing weight,
I weighed him and he now weighs 2lbs.  I am going to get a more accurate
scale(with ounces) on Monday morning.  He is still larger than Sweetie.
He does not look emaciated or thin, but he has lost weight.  He is eating
well, acting normal and playful, still affectionate.  His stools are
normal.  I've read that male ferrets can loose up to 40% of their body
weight in the summer, however, Billy did not loose any noticeable weight
last summer.  So I am concerned.  AND Billy is losing fur on his belly
and lower chest region, and also by his shoulder blades.  I am terrified
it s adrenal disease, but I think he's a bit young for that.

My one hope is this: I have been ferret sittting for a friends ferrets
( who are very healthy ) for the past 12 days.  These two male ferrets
are approximately the same age but are much larger 5 and 6 lbs.  On
numerous occasions I have seen Billy and the larger of these 2 ferrets
wrestling.  I found tiny teeth marks, no blood, on Billy's back where
his shoulder blades are and he is now missing fur.  And as we all know,
ferrets will grab eachother in this area when wrestling.  I am hoping
that perhaps the hair loss is a result of their wrestling.  Has anyone
out there had a similiar experience?  Also, it was very hot last week,
could that have caused Billy to shed?

I am looking for anyone who has had a similiar experience or is familiar
with adrenal disease.  Hopefully I'm just being neurotic and Billy is
fine.

I thank you very much in advance for your responses.

Kati