From:
Gerry Seda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 18:25:06 -0400
I called my vet this morning to try to get a necropsy done on Punkin...the
vet completely blew me off and said that "well, she was old"!  This after
seeing her a little over a week ago and saying he could find nothing wrong
except blindness in one eye, cataract in other, gingivitis and arthritis!
They said the cost of a necropsy wasn't warranted!

I admit, I lost my cool (what little I had left) and said, you can't see
a pattern in all this (among other things!)????  They could have cared
less!  So what I did was call a vet way out in the suburbs.  I thought
they would be even more expensive but turns out they were cheaper!  The
vet called me back from there and we spoke at length about all 6 of my
pets dying in 10 months time, my health and my aides health.

Long story short...I took Punkin's body there and a necropsy is being
performed as I write this.  I am scared to death because the vet said
that it is a tossup regarding whether it is carbon monoxide poisoning
or ADV!  If the latter, my other two will die also!  She is going to
send out some samples to be tested and said I should have the results
in 5 days or so.  She was even kind enough to allow me to be billed for
an additional test she wanted to do and which I did not have the money
for.  (and she only just met me!!!) She said I'd better pray it is not
ADV.  My guys have been in contact with no new ferrets..the youngest is 5
years old but she said she could have harbored it and acted as a carrier.
I feel sick over this!  I hope it is NOT ADV!!!!

Many of you have written me and I will try to answer you all but am also
trying to get moved to another apartment (July 12) so bear with me please.
I appreciate the cards,concern and advice more than you realize.  As soon
as I know anything about my guys, I will post it.

I am so disgusted and angry at my regular vet that I can't see straight!
HOW could he NOT even think ADV?  HOW can he justify doing no tests or
necropsys to find out.  This new vet even said she was concerned about me!
That's far more than he's ever said.  My kids were 5-8 years old that died
and my other vet wrote every one off as I don't know why they died and /or
well they were old!  And then charge me this enormous amount of money for
pets that are no longer alive but not work a payment plan with me
initially!

A couple people also suggested that I check to see if there is a shelter
near me that might help with the cost since I'm on a fixed income or might
board my remaining 2 till I move.  I know of no local shelter and saw none
on the ferret shelter list.  I live in Buffalo NY..as far as I know, the
closest is in the Finger Lakes Region which is a good long ways.  I would
not be able to get a ride there.  Does anyone know if there is a shelter
in Buffalo?  I was given a phone number by Animal Rights Advocates of WNY
but it turned out to be a personal residence!

Again, thank you so much for the cards (I cry every time I read one), the
concern, the advice, the compassion!  You're all a very special bunch of
people!!!!