From:
Russell Prater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2002 11:24:53 -0500
>From:    Arnold Cochran <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: New ferret owner
>
>Hi everyone,

Hi Arnold!

>I have always wanted a ferret, and it has been a blast taking care of
>him and loving him.  They sure get to you in a hurry!

Oh they do!  They capture your heart in just a look.

>My reason for writing is, what do I need to do to provide Mr. Stinky with
>the best possible life I can offer?  There is limited food and supplies
>in my area.  What would be a good ferret food to buy mail order and which
>internet site offers the best products for ferrets?

Go to http://www.theferretstore.com .  There, under books you will find
Kim Schilling's book "Ferrets For Dummies".  Order yourself a copy.  It
is the best ferret book available.  The same site has a huge variety of
foods.  Get 10 pounds of Superior Choice and 10 pounds of Zupreem and
mix them together.  Their prices are good and there is no shipping or
handling cost as long as you buy $25 on your order.  I would also
recommend that you buy a pint of 8in1 Ferretone, a couple tubes of 8in1
Ferretvite and a tube of Kittymalt while you are at it.

>Also, what shots would he need, and would a vet in my area be
>knowledgeable about my ferret's needs?

He will need canine distemper vaccination.  If you know that he already
has the 3 shots, one booster will do.  If he hasn't or you don't know, he
will need two spaced 3 weeks apart.  The approved vaccines are United's
Fervac-D and Merial's Purevax Ferret Distemper vaccine.  He will also
need a rabies vaccination unless he has had one and you have the papers
on it.  http://www.ferretcentral.org has a list of Vets in the US who
have been recommended for ferrets.  Check it to see who is in your area.

--
Russ, Booger, Bonnie & Clyde

URA Redneck if your driveway is bordered by half-buried tractor tires.