From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 22:56:44 -0400
>She has gone back into heat again, she's too old to do the operation and
>since she's not showing signs of adrenal disease, we're just letting her
>quietly live out the rest of her life in comfort.  She's not real active,
>but when she goes out of heat, she does become a little more active.

I'm going to disagree with this statement.  If she is actually in heat,
then she has ovarian tissue and that is potentially going to cause some
serious problems with her blood cells.  If, as is more likely, she has
adrenal disease, she is not going to "live out her days in comfort".
Ferrets with adrenal disease are tired, lose muscle mass, have decreased
appetites, are more prone to infections, especially of the skin and of
the urinary tract, and should be treated if at all possible.  If surgery
is not an option, there are medical treatments that can block the
hormones that cause the clinical signs.

Dr. Ruth
Save lives - spay or neuter your pet.