Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 13:11:21 -0400
From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
>If you feel you might like to try "alternative medicine" get your mommy
>to go to a health food store and get a small bottle of Kava-Kava herb.
>It is used in cases of anxiety.

There was a recent warning about Kava and some European nations have
removed it from the shelves.  I can't recall the from of damage that
occurred in those people, but think it was to livers or kidneys but don't
hold me to the location.  A web search should find some of the reports on
it.  In humans it was for doses that were above the recommended levels
but not by much if memory serves (which it may not).  With ferrets no one
knows a safe dose level.

With any medication of any type it is always ESSENTIAL to read about the
risks, contraindications (like never using true licorice with a ferret
who has any circulatory disease due to risks like worsening the damage
or thromboses), meds (of any type) to avoid when that med is used, etc.
Here are some reputable references which go not only into uses, but which
ones have research behind them, which don't have research behind them,
which ones have anecdotal reports of interest, and times to use caution
or avoid a given herbal med: _The German Monographs_, _PDR for Herbal
Medicines_ (my personal favorite naad I also enjoy _PDR for
supplements_), the texts by Varrro Tyler, to some extent a recent book by
Jane Brody, etc.

Of course, there is new info appearing on a regular basis, so that is
important to seek out, too.  If anyone has trouble in this regard ask
your local reference librarian to help you.

Also, be SURE to discuss any such med with your vet beforehand just as
you would with any other.

Ulcers in ferrets often have infection as a cause, but it tends to pay to
stabilize the ulcer first before treating the infection.  Carafate is an
incredible med for providing a buffer over the injured area.  It's a very
safe med developed from clays, actually.  It's so safe that I can't
imagine any problem with it becoming OTC eventually since it's safer than
a large number of current OTCs.

Robin, you'll find a lot of info to learn from, discuss with your vet,
and select among in the resources that I include in another post today,
esp. in the FML and FHL archives.

Bats: wait till sundown and observe.  They typically will exit where they
come in.  If there are no infants hanging there seal the openings then.
Avoid rodenticides; they send to seep downward and therefore the bats get
weakened and poisons move through the house.  The last figure I saw from
a large study: of bats that are "up" (can use rear legs) there are about
5% who have rabies, of those who are "down" (can not use rear legs) most
are due to incomplete poisoning, about 15% are from rabies, and the rest
are due to other causes.  Someone else may have more recent figures.
Yes, there are cautions to take, and do use a face mask since the fungus
that grows in the droppings can pose a threat to lungs.  I adore brown
bats -- great temperaments.  One I rescued from dehydration would fly
above me in circles when I talked during night walks for a few years till
he disappeared and a cat-scarred female who liked me used to just climb
into my net when she would get stuck in the local latticework.  Haven't
worked with any in a while now.  Don't like gray bats personally -- they
are feisty and jumpy often.