Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 07:31:33 -0700
First:
Godspeed to those folks rescuing those poor young kits.  Positive
energies, thoug hts and prayers are with every mile you travel.

>I guess I'm posting because my concerns are not yet relieved.  I
>expected him to clean the ear and look inside with an ear scope; Do I
>just watch too much Emergency Vets

There are no stupid questions.  Never question your instincts.  Your vet
should ha ve done all of those things you mentioned.  First you need to
ask him why he did not do those things.  You did pay him to perform a
service correct?  You have a right to ask and deserve to know.  I would
also get a second opinion if you are not satisfied with his answers and
the ear continues to be a problem.

 ------------------
>We have had a number of ferrets with allergies to Fervac, to Galaxy, or
>to both.  None died though some came close and such individuals stopped
>having vaccinations though the rest still got them.  Of cour se, this is
>one of the reasons for the development of the important new vaccine:
>Merial's Purevax Canine Distemper Vaccine Can't afford to throw out t he
>baby with the bathwater.

I totally agree and think that part of the reason for my vaccine panic
is that you seem to hear more about bad reactions than succesful
vaccinations.  The infor mation you have given here is comforting to
hear.  It is my understanding howeve r that even though a ferret can
have a reaction once does not mean they will hav e a reaction again and
vice versa.  Once again I will state that my kids do not go without
vaccinations.  I'm now sorry that I ever started this thread because my
point has been totally misconstrued.
 ------------------

>My past cancer patient didn't appreciate it.  In fact, it did nothing to
>help her, and believe me I was desperate to try anything just to help her
>live a little longer.  I still have the bottle sitting in my fridge
>staring back at me.  However, I don't have my fuzzy girl staring back at
>me.  It is not a cancer cure all.

Sandy,I'm so sorry about your loss but don't you feel better knowing that
you did everything in your power to help her?  I know it's not a cure
all, never said it was.  It depends on how advanced the cancer is.  I
don't think anyone has the one right answer.  I totally understand why
you would feel bitter but studies on the tea show that it has helped some
and imo that's enough to inspire me to give it a try.
 ------------------

>In order to make very important decissions such as not testing, you would
>hope that you have researched the matter first.  United has been around
>long before avecon.  If you are donating to research, thats great....but
>first donate to the ferrets which you take into your care.  Your own
>testing is part of the research.

This is the last I will respond on this topic because it's just getting
insipid.  I HAVE NOT MADE A DECISION NOT TO TEST.  I do my best to help
others AND help my own and always will.  $1 here and there does not buy my
kids a test kit but may make a difference in assisting research.  Rescues
in particular should be involv ed in supporting research because we are
affected at a very significant level of care.  It's a good thing that
everyone doesn't share your mentality.  If everyon e contributed just
$1 ( And BAM is a prime example) what a difference it would make.

>But remember even herbs can be dangerous.  Natural does not equal safe.
>Many of these home type remedies are also very expensive.  Make sure you
>can afford to test ferrets and make sure you know what you are treating
>for first or you will be spending yet more unnessasarily.  Personally I
>also would never use any homeopathic remedy to replace proven medical
>practices.

Herbs like any medication can be dangerous if not used properly.  What's
the point?  I have found the pricing comparable , if not cheaper by the
dose than standard meds.  They are also less invasive.  Surgery in SOME
CASES can spread some forms of cancer.  Surely you are not insinuating
that I am randomly treating my anima ls with herbs prior to an accurate
diagnosis??  Done with this topic.  You have your opinions and I have
mine.

>I can tell you feel defensive over my post.  I may of been unnesessarily
>sarcastic.  But by saying shelters which do test and vaccinate are doing
>so as a "...tool to cut down the other rescues..." you did alienate
>yourself from those of us who do so for the ferrets sake....and don't have
>the money to waste in any meaningless ego war.  We work very hard to make
>sure the ferrets are taken care of in the best way we know how.

Not really defensive, but I did feel the need to untwist some things and
clarify .  I don't feel alienated whatsoever.  I totally support the
efforts of my fello w shelters.  And I'd say that through my experience
98%of them are in it for the sake of the ferrets.

>This is common.  This is the "old" way of thinking.  But the old ADV has
>changed.  I don't think it has been talked about enough.  I don't think
>people are aware enough.

I agree that there is not enough "informative awareness" and too much
panic beca use the illness is so contagious and there is too much that is
not known about h ow it spreads.

>The same goes for other canine and feline diseases - one strain
>protection.  What is your point RE ADV?

Just a combination of topics. Not relating distemper to ADV.

>For cat or ferret?  If for ferret, please, would a vet post on this
>subject?

It was my understanding that it was the Fervac vaccine that only
protected fuzzys from one strain of distemper.

>I think you've missed the whole point regarding vaccinating.  As a
>shelter it should be mandatory that all incoming animals are vaccinated
>and/or tested for any communicable diseases to PREVENT widespread
>contamination.

See previous comment.

>I would say YOU HAVE negated the importance of testing and have possibly
>mislead other people with your writings/opinions.

You are entitled to your opinions.  I am not misleading anyone and I have
in fac t received alot of information that has clarified issues I've had
with ADV testi ng.

>As a shelter operator it is important that you inform the general public
>of ADV, vaccinating and basic/minimal animal care (in this case ferret
>care) for the health and survival of the animal.  Your opinion of how or
>why and is vaccinating and ADV testing good or bad should not be part of
>the their education at this point.  If the owner would like to prolong
>the life of the animal than they will (hopefully) look further into
>health care and remedies to assist.  But if you tell a new owner that
>vaccinations are not *really* needed because it shortens their life span

I think people need to be aware of all of the risks involved with all
aspects of animal care.  That does not mean that I "advise" them to not
test or not vaccin ate.

>I think what you do not understand is that the general public is
>misinformed and down right ignorant - why do you think we have laws?  the
>risk of a contagious disease.

Well, you did hit that nail right on the head and I do understand that
issue all too well which is why I wholeheartedly, unequivocably, without a
doubt DO NOT E NDORSE purchasing a companion from a pet store.  Last time
I checked there was n o law making distemper vaccinations mandatory.  Some
protection by the "law" huh ?  I'd like to see some laws passed regarding
breeding practices, THEN maybe we could get some protection for the
animals, some help to the over crowded shelter s.  Don't get me started on
"laws" that protect animals.  How long did it take us in the state of MD
to protect animals against cruelty?  Ummmmmm let's see.  I b elieve it was
last year that it finally became a felony in the state of MD to ab use an
animal.  Yup, the law is really at work for the defenseless isn't it?

>Personally I do not vaccinate my dogs or ferts on an annual basis.

Um, excuse me?  Did you just question me on protection and laws when you
don't practice what you preach and protect your own animals?

>And finally, if a shelter cannot afford the basic care for an incoming
animal, they should not be a shelter.  Bottom line.  You have taken an
oath to provide care and protection when you put out the banner that said
*Shelter* - and to not provide these services is hurting not only the
incoming animal but all others in the shelter.  Ferret shelters are
started from the heart but at some time the heart has to realize the
reality of running a business and part of that business is variable
costs.  One must consider ALL aspects before calling themselves a shelter
"open to the public."

When you have a grip on the reality of what rescuers go through and
practice what you preach then you are welcome to give your opinions.
Your comments are not b ased on any fact of how I run my rescue.  Do not
dare to judge the efforts of an yone that rescues animals.  Without these
people, these animals would wind up ab used or dead.  Do you think that's
a better option for them?  And incidentally, I did not choose this
path....I was chosen.  Lastly I am not "open to the public".  That would
make me no better than a pet store.  My rescue only takes in what I can
handle and adoptions are made on personal reference only.  .  That does
not m ean that my rescued animals don't have the same needs as those in
other shelters .  I have no need to have a "huge shelter" unless one day
I hit the lottery.  Until then I do what I can and personally feel that
if everyone did just a little bit to help as I do then the world would be
a better place.

Are we done now?  I have a new topic that will bring us all some much
needed joy.

Kim
SUMS.