From:
Sara Munz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 12:13:50 -0700
I used to run a shelter, and we never used the Tennessee panel, ultrasound
or X-rays to diagnose adrenal disease.  Instead, if the ferret had the
symptoms, we would put the money towards the surgery instead.  An enlarged
adrenal gland does not usually show up on an ultrasound or an X-ray, so
that would not be worth spending the money on.  I believe the Tennessee
panel is usually but not always accurate, but perhaps someone with more
experience can speak to that.  If you think your ferret has adrenal, the
best thing to do is schedule surgery UNLESS they are not a good candidate.

And in regards to Aleutians (ADV) and the AFA banning people with ADV
positive ferrets from showing any of their ferrets - then why have ferret
shows at all?  My ferrets all tested negative - but that was six weeks
ago.  Who knows what their status is now?  But one negative test within
the past six months was good enough for them to participate in the ferret
show here in Portland!  Since we still don't know much about ADV,
including how contagious it is, those who are concerned can never take
their ferrets out, never interact with ANY other ferrets, and certainly
not run a shelter.  I think that expecting ALL shelters to be able to
have a separate area for ADV positive ferrets and/or to be able to pass
them off to another shelter specifically for ADV positives is unrealistic.
I hate to say it, but euthanizing ADV positive ferrets may be the humane
alternative for some shelters.

Sara (donning flame proof suit)