From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 18:26:23 EDT
Okay, well these are not new... not to the ADV world, but may be to
others.  First I"d like to say that you can't change things overnight,
and things often have to be done gradually or in steps.  And thats okay..
as long as things progress a head, and not backwards.  I have pondered a
couple things here quite a bit.  I thought it would be a good thing to
discuss and kick around on the FML.

First... I have heard that the AFA adding new rules at shows for our
ferrets protection.  If its true, I think it's a good step forward.  The
new rule being that a ferret from an ADV positive "home" whether its
negative or positive can not show.  I know that seems so harsh.  But it's
not.  If this is true, its a wonderful step.  It helps others feel safe.
It will help stop cross contamination, and therefore the spread of ADV.
In light of the fact that despite the rule that an ADV positive ferret
can not show in an AFA show (much like the rule that horses exposed to
coggins can't, etc), some people still pushed that rule to the edge this
year.  ADV positive ferrets were brought along with people when they went
to show (but not in the show area) where cross cantamination can happen.
I feel so much for people that truly enjoy showing but have ADV positive
ferrets in their home and will be drastically affected by such new rule.
But really this rule will help prevent a ferret from "carrying ADV" to a
show ring, it will help stop ferrets may actually have ADV, but have not
had it show up on current testing yet, or had an unusual false negative.

Another thing I was pondering... was I was wondering what are the thoughts
of shelter operators about adopting out ADV negative ferrets with no
history of possible exposure to homes that are ADV infected?  Is it a
case by case basis (perhaps if the new home would have a seperate place
for the negative ferret, or if the people were experienced in keeping
both, or perhaps the adopted ferret is elderly anyway since ADV takes
time to rear its ugly head in a ferret clinically)?  Or do some of you
feel strongly that it does or does not matter?  Does anyone, or has
anyone thought of asking for current testing papers from a potential
adopter showing that ferrets are negative?  I'm just curious, how shelter
operators feel, and how they do conduct things because I am ignorant to
this area.

Wolfy, just your average Joe tryin to learn about ADV

Please visit:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/
for information on ferret deafness:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/deaf.html