Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 13:37:55 -0400
From:
Ingrid Rhinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Well, apparently I took the wrong weekend to go away (took the ferrets
with me this time, of course)!

First let me say that you can obviously see from my original post that I
never intended for this to be a personal battle in a public forum.  I was
relaying my own bad experience so that others might be more cautious in
the future.  For some reason, Kim has decided to get personal here.  I
will post this last refute and then anyone who wants to hear more from me
will have to contact me personally.

As for Kim's accusations:
1. I did not visit her shelter because at the time I was without
transportation.  I have asked to visit since and have been denied.

2. Kim told me that the ferrets were suffering from stress related
distress due to introduction of new ferrets in the shelter.  There was
never any mention of helicobacter.

3. Kim has finally forwarded me the boarding agreement in which she has
handwritten in the clauses that she states are listed in her boarding
agreement with regard to ADV, vaccinations and helicobacter.

4. Kim returned my ferrets to me SIX HOURS late with no phone call or
explanation, during which time I couldn't contact her in any way.  I was
calling everyone I knew to help me fearing that my ferrets would not be
returned.  When they were finally returned, I was so happy just to have
them (be they sick, dirty, etc) and chalked it up to a bad experience and
to learn from this episode.  That is, until I heard about the lack of
vaccination and ADV testing and became worried about the health of my
ferrets, hence I did not contact her for a few months.

5. Kim claims to be so concerned about my ferret that she feels she has
the right to call the vet and United to find out the results of the
tests.  However when I express concern and ask about the status of sick
ferrets in her shelter to which I have donated $100 ($40 donation for
boarding, $20 for transportation, the rest as a general donation), she
refuses to provide any information.  This is not the way that reputable
shelters deal with donors.

6. The people on the Pooflinger board are more than willing to listen to
Kim's response to any and all allegations and have made every effort to
facilitate this.  She doesn't want people to say bad things about her out
of context, but now she is referring to an entire group of people as 'NJ
scum swamp' and making allegations about them here without even trying to
have a conversation with this group.  Pot calling the kettle black?

7. Kim states that my ferrets are kept in immaculate living conditions
and receive all medical care.  This is true.  I love my ferrets very
dearly as I know that you all do, which I why I posted a general warning
about choosing boarding facilities in the first place.  In fact, I
thought that the original responses from people about different boarding
experiences were very helpful and informative discussion.

8. Kim states that I am 'young' and 'rather impressionable'.  I am 25.
I have a B.A.  in Economics from Oberlin College and an M.S. in Applied
Economics from Cornell University and work as an economist doing research
in food policy to help reduce poverty and hunger in sub-Saharan Africa.
These things do not prove anything per se, but they certainly prove that
I can stand on my own two feet and think for myself.  No one is using
me in their 'vendetta'.  I again state that I posted in order to make
others aware that bad experiences happen and to help others not make the
mistakes that I made.

I am very glad that there are others who have expressed here that they
have not had the experience that I have had with SUMS.  My question to
those of you who have posted is to ask why you would board your ferrets
in a place that is not ADV-?  It's a dangerous risk.

My intention was never for this to be a personal attack against anyone,
but I feel that it has now become one against me.  I'm sorry, but this
will be the last public post from me about this situation.  (BIG, I
never intended for this to become a personal exchange.  I'm sorry that
a potentially valuable thread about boarding experiences has turned into
this.)

Ingrid

[Moderator's note: I not taking sides here but I wish all posts
expressing disagreement were as cordial and non-flaming as this!
Yes, it IS possible to disagree without "flaming."  BIG]