From:
Heather Wojtowicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 10:00:01 -0400
Dear Mr. Saxton,

As a member of the ferret community, I was shocked to read the headline of
your recent article.  Clearly, the research you did in order to write this
article consisted entirely of talking to Morrison.  I assume that, as a
reporter, you wish to get the straight facts on a story.  Below are some
of the facts of the case which you obviously neglected to "ferret" out:

- This "friend to ferrets" did NOT want these ferrets transported to
shelters that would give them the vet care and attention Morrision
had badly neglected.  Her original wish was that all the ferrets be
euthanized, not saved.  I don't know about you, but I wouldn't consider
someone who starved me, refused to get me medical care, then wished for
me to killed to be my "friend".  I doubt the ferrets feel that way about
Morrison, either.  And incidentally, her motivation for wanting them
euthanized was that she wanted to keep all her cages for when she got
going on her next collection of starved, sick, neglected ferrets.

- The only way for these ferrets to get to safety and to responsible
shelters was for a large group of volunteers to take time out of their
lives and literally drive these animals from Utah to shelters across the
country.  It was enormous effort, a true labor of love, and it went on
despite the fact that 9/11 took place only days before the transport was
to begin.  THESE are the "friends of ferrets" - the people who took days
(and in some cases a week or more) out of their lives, took time off of
work, and drove carloads of ferrets to safety and proper care.  They did
not let even a national tragedy stand in their way of caring for these
creatures.  What's Morrison's excuse?

- The ferrets were not "farmed out", they were transported in small
groups to licensed ferret shelters, not "animal sanctuaries" as you
suggest.  Do you even know the difference between a shelter and a
sancutary?  A "sanctuary" is an open land area or environment where
animals are brought to live, usually one that mimics their natural
environment as closely as possible.  "Sanctuaries" are almost exclusively
for wild or non-domesticated animals.  The ferrets that were rescued from
Morrison's clutches and her shameful neglect were brought to SHELTERS.
Shelters are non-profit rescue operations, and ferret shelters are run
out of people's homes.  All costs of caring for the animals are absorbed
by the individual running the shelter.  In the case of the Utah ferrets,
the vet bills topped $7,000.  For shelters who spent thouands caring for
these ferrets, it is hard to feel sorry for Morrison's paltry $500 fine.

- A recent letter from Morrison (which I believe she also forwarded to
you) accuses the FML (Ferret Mailing List) of making the ferrets sick in
transport.  Anyone who saw those ferrets while they were still in Utah -
such as the animal control officers - can refute this.  Some of the
animals were put down because they were so desperately sick and neglected
when they were found.  The vet costs following the rescue were related to
long-term illnesses such as tumors, cancers, adrenal disease, insulinoma,
ulcers, dehydration, malnutrition, and fleas.  This "friend to ferrets"
was allowing these animals to linger in these conditions.  I have yet to
hear of a cancer that is brough about as a result of a ride in the car.

- You continually refer in the article to the "sanctuary" and laud
Morrison's efforts, yet you also refer several times to the fact that it
was, in fact, just a small condo that these 260+ ferrets were crammed
into.  Do you know of very many animal "sanctuaries" contained within a
2-bedroom condo?  This is the first one I'd ever heard of.

Your article was one of the worst examples of irresponsible reporting I
have ever had to read.  You make Morrision sound like a wrongly accused
animal lover, when the facts don't support that at all.  Those animals
lived in pain, fear, and starvation.  She had to be raided and arrested
before the animals could be saved.  When they were discovered, she wanted
them all euthanized, and she writes nasty letters to those who worked hard
to save them and pay for their care, calling ferrets "smelly butt fur
faces".  And despite all this, she earns the "friend to ferrets" label
because a reporter was too lazy to check all the facts and get his story
straight.  This is a sad day for ferret lovers, particularly the ones who
worked so hard to clean up the incredible, destructive mess left behind
by Morrison.  There has been no thanks or apology from Morrison for all
the work on the part of the rescuers.  Only taunting and rudeness.

Finally, I have to wonder what you thought when you read Morrison's
letter, particularly the part that states, "Now I can spend time with my
beloved family and friends I neglected the passed 31 years to care for so
many smelly butt furfaces."  She is pleased that she can buy herself a
truck rather than waste money on the care of animals she labels as smelly
and stinky and destructive.

Indeed, that certainly sounds to me like a dedicated "friend to ferrets".

-Heather Wojtowicz
 An actual friend to ferrets