From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 May 2002 09:17:13 -0400
Wolfy writes
>ferrets with profound deafness and strong physical traits of WS, are
>percieved to be odd in behavior when in group situations.

Actually, Buttons is a fairly socially adept ferret.  He is 5, profoundly
deaf, and has the Waardensburg trait of being unable to open his mouth
very wide.  He has a shuffling gait and is somewhat clumsy.  Buttons is
not a cuddler, but will give and take lots of kisses.  He will play with
any ferret.  He certainly misses aural clues, but understands a flat
ferret is a sign of submission and will respond to it.  He is content to
sleep alone or to snuggle with other ferrets.

I have never seen Buttons to show any sign of anger or annoyance at
another ferret, even though Andi continually presses him for the alpha
spot.  When she invades his private space or picks a fight with him, he
simply uses his body weight and wrestling moves to put her in her place.

It is easy to assume he is of lower than normal intelligence because of
his clumsiness and easy-going nature, but he is actually rather good at
problem solving and surprises me constantly with his cleverness.

Linda Iroff
Oberlin OH