Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 20:04:12 -0400
Have seen several memos here of ferts escaping, it made me angry as all
get out to see such problems until it happened twice to me.  Luckly, I
have managed to recover the two escapees within a few hours and no harm
done.

Both times I had doors open wide.  First time I was working on the
computer for several hours and forgot the back door was open;Kodo escaped.
I was frantic to learn my first rescue had been lost this way due to my
ignorance.  He had walked around the upper pattio, down to the lower
pattio, and in through the open basement door!  I had closed that door
when looking for him, on one of many return trips I opened the door and
there he was!  Waiting for me!!!  I was some elated to have found him.
Such a good boy.  Now I take him out back and he makes his own way to go
back into the house which is good that if he ever gets out again he may
know how to get back.

The other time I had two baby sat ferts loose in my closed in porch area.
I was working on things out there and had opened the sliding glass doors
to the kitchen only a crack to stick my arm in to hang a key but was VERY
careful to NOT let any fert get out.  Well, that little $(U^#( got by my
sight anyway!  THe front door was wide open and out he went.  About an
hour later I had to go to an auction so just checked to see if they two
ferts I was baby sitting were ok, and could find only one.  I searched
that room inside and out but only one fert.  Just could not beleive one
had escaped but checked all around the house outside, neighbors yards and
all but no luck.  Checked the porch again but only one fert.  Figured the
other had found a spot in a wood pile there and was snoozing so I locked
up and started for my truck.  Just a last second thought, figured I'd
take one last walk to the back yard.  I did, and as I got to the corner,
this white streak went flying by!  ***DANG*** among other colorful
expletives !!!!!!!

The fert was scared to death of me and knew he was in deep doo doo.  But
I talked nice to him and spent some time to relax the critter.  Walked to
him and picked him up with no problem while softly petting him so glad to
have found him!

Is far too easy for one of these guys to get out, and God only knows where
they will go.  SOme will roam, some may stay close as mine did.  My lesson
was learned very hard and have only my own self to blame.  As much as I
love these critters and take as good care as I can, errors happen.  AM so
sorry for those who have lost ferts from un intended escapes.  Is just
one of those things one has to be extra careful of.  I keep an accurate
head cound at all times like keeping small kids around!  Ha !  Not much
different cept ferts don't do well with diapers......

Gordon, Byte-me, Nibble-ed, Kodo and Bud