Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 11 May 2002 23:50:01 EDT
From:
Sue Howard <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Guys,

Well, I finally did it.

I have been reading about making rice boxes for the furkids to dig in, and
I finally broke down tonight when I went food shopping and picked up all
the makings to get it done.  I purchased a fairly good sized box (a clear
54 quart storage box) and two twenty pound bags of the cheapest rice I
could find (Stop and Shop brand rice).  People at Stop and Shop were
looking at me with the oddest look....two 20 pound bags of rice?  What the
heck is this girl doing??  Even the cashier, who I know well, was like...
ummm, Sue?

I walked in the door with my groceries and the making for the box.  My
guys' cage is in the kitchen and they see me walk in, and immediately they
woke up and went MAAAA LET US OUT!!!  I set the big box on the floor, let
them out of the cage, and of course, they had to see what the heck the big
box was on the floor.  Three of them immediately climbed in and I slowly
poured one of the bags of rice into the box, with them in it, careful not
to pour it right over their heads.  They went bolistic.  Dante immediately
started tunneling around with his pink little nose, going under as far as
he could, and around and around the perimeter of the box.  Toby went right
for a corner and started digging, digging, digging.  Dante THEN decided
the box was his and pounced on Toby, trying to get him to stop digging.
Toby was having none of it and ran around the box with Dante on his back,
digging rice wherever he could.  Nala went into another corner and dug to
her heart's content.  Paul didn't care for it....he is entitled, though.
He'ss 9 1/2 years old, deaf & blind.  I guess he just didn't get it, but
that's fine.  Templeton likes it but can't get his fat ass into the
box...Mom has to lift him up there (he is 3.25 pounds....down from the
4.25 when I first rescued him...he placed second fattest ferret at the
Four Ferret Shelter Frolic a couple weekends ago).  Templeton just isn't
a climber yet but he seems to enjoy it quite a bit when he's in there.

I've never seen anything like it.  It's an hour later (I like to grocery
shop late, not so many people at the store LOL) and they are still going
crazy in there.  Toby will gather up a pile of rice underneath him and
try to scoot the pile into his own little corner, and make a bigger pile.
I think he's trying to hog it, personally.  This is almost as much
entertainment as reading about Switch the Kit playing with her door mouse!

Talk about a worthwhile purchase....

Sue and the fabulous five
Dante, Toby, Paul, Templeton and Nala