From:
"Scarlett A. Gray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 14:53:54 EST
Ok, Jack Hanna is NOT pro ferrets - he has said negative things about
them - like they are NOT a pet for everyone.  He has written a book on
pets and at least includes them.  It's not the most positive but it's not
totally negative about them.  Again, it states that they are not a pet
for everyone.

I have met him personally and DO NOT like the man.  He says things just
for sensationalism, takes things out of context and states non-truths.
And contrary to his statement on Larry King, there was never any child
"killed" or harmed by a ferret in Columbus.

He is no longer the executive director for the Columbus Zoo.  Can't
remember his exact title but he is basically PR only - and granted he has
done great things for the Columbus Zoo.  I have met the new executive
director, Jerry Borin and he is a very nice man.  The Columbus Zoo is
NOT anit-ferret.  We, Heart of Ohio Ferret Association & Rescue, were
specifically invited to the Zoo's new event, "Meet Your Best Friend at the
Zoo" this last Sept.  We were among the several cat and dog rescues and
Humane Societies.  By inviting us, the Zoo recognizes the ferret as a
domestic pet and recognizes the needs of the ferret community much the
same as dogs and cats.  The exec.  director, Jerry Borin, even stopped at
our booth at the zoo and held one of the ferrets.

Maybe Jack Hanna is the &*% that a lot of us in Columbus think he is.
But we feel we have made great strides with the Columbus Zoo despite Jack
Hannna's negative attitude towards ferrets.  So PLEASE, let's not slam and
flame the Columbus Zoo because of one person.

Scarlett Gray
Heart of Ohio Ferret Association & Rescue