From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 22:14:03 -0500
>Also, after so many with similar symptoms, they never suggested an
>intestine biopsy.......so on the currently ill ferret, it sounds like we
>should insist that this be done and that what we're looking to confirm or
>rule out is the cause of or existence of chronic GI disease?  Should we
>be trusting that they know what they're looking for?

It is difficult to say whether they know what they are looking for, but
the aberrant doses of medicants, the lack of biopsy and the very sketchy
autopsy with hesitation to send tissues off - let me say that it doesn't
raise a lot of confidence right about now.

However, it is not too late.  There is a key component, however, to
sending off tissues, and that is where to send them.  There are a handful
of pathologists in this country like Mike Garner and Drury Reavill who
specialize in exotic animal pathology and have a lot of experience with
ferret tissues.  I would insist that tissues go to an experience and
recommended ferret pathologist.

Me, these days I only take a very limited amount of tissue - the very odd
cases and those which will add significantly to the literature.  My time
is taken up with ferret research and publishing (actually, I am finishing
up a paper tonight for Exotic DVM magazine which deals with interpreting
pathology reports from inexperienced pathologists).  Many times,
especially on the FHL I will hear about an interesting case and request
that the tissues be sent to me.

>I think I almost feel terrible now, like as ferert owners, we should
>have required more ferret-related knowledge of ourselves...

I think that you are being a bit hard on yourself here - I'll exempt
myself, as I've had the special training, residency, and a lot of
experience with ferret diseases.  But if you spend time on the FHL, you'll
see some fantastic people such as Sukie Crandall, Mike Janke, and many
others too numerous to mention who have phenomenal instincts when it comes
to ferret medicine.  I can tell you, it didn't happen for them overnight -
but they went to the right resources, learned the right stuff, and I would
actually put their knowledge of ferrets up against the majority of vets
out there.  So you're here now, and you can learn an awful lot.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM