From:
Tanya Grave <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 13:17:51 -0800
I totally support Dr. Kemmerer's post on basically giving medical advice
without examing the patient first hand and assuming that all vets are
greedy.  As consumers we have to take the information/advice a vet gives
to us and absorb and understand what the doctor is telling us.  Then we
need to make an informed decision based upon the feedback we get.  Yes we
are relying very heavily on a doctors advice and opinion.  But we also
have to understand that most of the information we receive from the vet
is based upon past experience and/or textbook academics.  We cannot
personally hold a doctor responsible for [ultimately] the choices we make.
We must do our own due diligence to understand the health problems and
the best course of treatment for our animals.  A doctor is merely a
guiding light.

If you are unsatisfied with a vets diagnosis than you should pay for
another opinion.  It can and will get expensive, but after all we are
talking about your ferrets health.  I agree that if you have a very good
relationship with your vet and you have spend a lot of money nursing an
animal back to health at their clinic, it would be nice to get a break.
But than again we have to put ourselves in their shoes and ask ourselves
would we be willing to work at our jobs for free just because it's such a
nice place to work?  Probably not, well in retrospect it's the same
principle.

In some cases vets do misdiagnosis an animals symptons based upon the
information given to him or her; that is why it is so important that we
as animal caretakers are aware of our own animals health and behaviors
and can provide accurate information to the doctor when needed.

Lastly, it's important that you find a vet who has the same values as your
own.  Dr. Kemmerer mentions declawing and that she received hate mail in
response to *her opinion* - Folks, remember vets are people too and their
values and opinions might not match yours, but that doesn't mean you send
them hate mail.

See you in LV!

Tanya

PS - BIG is the FML going to stop until you return from LV or do you have
some ferret-elves helping you in your absence?  [Neither!  BIG]