From:
Julie Fossa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 16:11:32 -0700
One of our few Utah Rescues that managed to hang on to their name, through
all the chain of events, was Spaz.  She was a striking black sable with
balding hips, and a naked tail that told a tale of it's own.

When Spaz got here, she was having black, tarry stools.  She was given
warmed subQ fluids, vitamin B-complex, Albon for the coccidia, and lots
of carafate and soft food for her tender tummy.

Despite her condition, she still carried pretty good weight for her small
size, and she was eating pretty well, on her own.  Since she was actually
one of the stronger kids that were in need of adrenal surgery, she was
selected to be in the first group of three to go to the vet.

Both adrenal glands were affected, and both came out.  She had a quick
recovery, and by 24 hours post-op, she was in her cage, feet braced, her
teeth clamped on the door of her cage, shaking it for all she was worth!
I figured this was how she had earned the name 'Spaz'!  Out she would
come, (I'm a wimp!) and she would dance and play, enjoying her freedom!

Unfortunately, over the course of the next week, Spaz took a down hill
slide.  She became lethargic, lost interest in playing or anything going
on around her, became disinterested in her food, and we needed to start
hand feeding.

Back to the vet she went, with the second group of Utah kids needing
Adrenal surgeries.  I suspected her electrolytes might be a bit 'off' and
so bloodwork was the object of her visit.  Well, the adrenal surgeries
were slated to be first, with the bloodwork last.

Now, I can only guess, but I suspect Spaz may have been one of those
little ferrets that had 'lived' in one of those little carriers that were
stacked all the way to the ceiling on either side of the sink, on the
bathroom countertop.  I also suspect that she related the carrier she was
in that day, to her former life.  She stood inside the door of that
carrier, feet braced, door-in-teeth, and shook that door and carrier with
all her might!  I hadn't seen her with that much energy in the whole
previous week!

She kept this up, relentlessly, for the duration of the three adrenal
surgeries!  She was the 'laugh of the staff' that day.  Dr. H. was having
a difficult time believing this little ferret was there because she was
lethargic and wouldn't eat!  He suggested, if she 'does it again' to bring
her back right away, and we'ld do some bloodwork.  But she certainly
didn't look like there was anything wrong THAT afternoon!

Well, it wasn't long, and Spaz was right back in his office for that
bloodwork.  Her values were a little off, and she was put on a small
amount of pred with her soft food.

Sadly, Spaz still will not eat on her own.  She is 'able' but not
'willing'.  She wants to be held.  If you put her food in front of her,
she will sniff it, and walk away.  She craves the human contact, and
appears willing to starve herself, without it.

This precious little girl has a new home waiting for her in Findlay, Ohio.
Her new family knows she has some special needs, and still accepts her
just as she is.  Her cage has been ordered, and as soon as it arrives, it
will be set up, and Spaz will go home.

Many of the Utah Kids have special or unique stories.  Many are still
waiting for their adrenal surgeries, and many are still waiting to go to
their new homes.

I want to thank those of you that are helping to financially support the
needs of these kids.  Thank you Pam VanO for the delightful bedding!
Thank you for those that have helped me when I had a question about care,
or just needed a friend to talk to, by giving emotional support.

Finally, a huge thank you to those of you whom have already opened
their hearts and homes to give your love to these wonderful, special fur
kids.  ...... This post was sent out last week before I left for Virginia
to visit my son.  It was rejected for length.  I have modified it to
shorten and update it.

Since Spaz was not doing well, I elected to bring her along to Virginia
with me.  Within 2 hours, she was staring into her food bowl, and within
a day, she had started munching on her crunchies!  She loved traveling,
and made a dramatic turn-around!  Her coat is growing in, and she is
looking like a totally different ferret!

Her new family is borrowing a cage to use until her new cage arrives, and
she will be going to her new home Friday evening!  Congratulations, Spaz!

Julie
=====
Julie Fossa
West Central Ohio Ferret Shelter