From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 10:56:40 -0500
Many have standards different than our own, cage and litter box cleaning
being at the top of the list.  I'm sure my standards won't meet those of
others for certain things as well but I would hope that if someone saw
something unsettling to them that they would kindly and gently point it
out to me in a nice way, and perhaps offer to help me straighten it out.
I wouldn't be insulted at all and if it is a one time thing I'd like to
have the opportunity to explain.  For me it is difficult to ask for help,
mostly because I don't like to be disappointed and most of the time when
I schedule with someone to do something to help, it gets canceled.  sigh.
And because I believe it is my responsibility to do what needs to be done
and shouldn't expect others to want to help.

I think, and this is my thinking which may be different than others, that
litter boxes should be cleaned every single day, at least once and more
often if needed.  Bedding should be washed when need but perhaps in this
case the person doesn't have enough bedding to go around or doesn't have a
washer and dryer.  That's easily solved by donating enough bedding so that
when one set gets dirty it can be changed and the dirty laundry can be
done at another time, before it is needed again.

Dirty litter boxes breed bacteria and can make ferrets sick.  Fleas can
cause severe anemia and death in such a small animal.  Perhaps this person
isn't aware of these facts and perhaps this person doesn't know that
Advantage or Frontline can be safely used on ferrets.

My suggestion, gently point out the issues, perhaps in saying that when
you got your new companion home you noticed the fleas and since you knew
advantage could be safely used on them you put 1 drop on the back of the
ferret's neck and it took care of the problem, but since ferrets can die
of flea anemia, he may want to check his others because if one has them,
they all do and it won't take long before they get sick.

Hugs to all. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart
Ferret Family Services
Please sign up to support our charity