From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 14:47:18 -0400
Fact is, that some individuals are allergic to pine so for them it poses
a serious problem.  Cedar, on the other hand, is a very real problem for
all.  Here's where you can by-pass
rumors/disagreements-clouding-the-issue/say-so
for some real facts on the topic:

http://www.trifl.org/cedar.html

"Respiratory toxicity of cedar and pine wood:
A review of the biomedical literature from 1986 through 1995"
Written by Jeff Johnston

We also have personally encountered marked rudeness from the Feline Pine
gent, so when we can we buy a competing product.  We were asking about a
large (a few hundred pounds) direct purchase that was below a ton in size.
If you aren't talking a ton...

Steve and i wish we could use the stove pellets but in our experiences
those had a an unfortunate tendency to have mold spores in them and we
both were nailed big time that way.

We have noticed that if we have only a few ferrets using a litter pot then
Yesterday's News seems to give better odor control (and it's what we use
after surgeries to prevent infections as do our vets), but pine litters
work better otherwise.  Sometimes we put one of the multi-cat clay ones
on the bottom and then put some pine on top and get a combo that seems to
work very well all around, but we can't do that if anyone has health
situation that can cause a prolapse problem for obvious reasons in case
clay gets stuck to tender tissue.

Fortunately, periodically we find other pine litters around (usually
cheaper and with less sawdust in bags, too).  When we can't, we buy the
FP since it does work and we haven't had any with any problems from it.

Would be interested in seeing the industry refs that were mentioned but
were not given.

>There is a consortium of litter manufacturers that are trying to get some
>sort of truth in advertising on the labels of litter.  Feline Pine is one
>of their primary targets

LINKS or ADDIES to that consortium and their efforts, please?  An
assertion does not make a fact so, like many others, I prefer to
verify such claims...  Unless verified they have to remain rumors.