From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1993 13:10:27 -0400
Robin, if this problem persists for several days with no or minimal improvement,
my ideas would be this:  either some type of trauma such as getting a foot
caught in the cage and subsequent stretching of the nerves, or possibly (and
less probably) a tumor affecting the nerves supplying that leg.  The loss of
function in a single leg is much more likely to represent local nerve damage
than a stroke.  Animals that traumatize nerves supplying the legs can regain all
function over time, or none at all - it can be very difficult to tell.  Nerve
tumors, on the other hand, are very rare in that region, so I would probably put
my money on some type of trauma.  I think it will probably be a waiting game for
a while and see if the "tincture of time" heals Tux.  Good luck and keep us
posted.

Bruce Williams, DVM