From:
Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 23:45:22 -0400
Condolences to those with lost, sick, or angeled carpet fertilizers...
(Daddy?  Does carpet grow?)

I've found that clumping litter works well for my gang.  No one has ever
gotten any stuck to their backsides.  The crystals (and pearls) however,
did get stuck to fur and had to be clipped off.  Now, only the cat gets
crystals (FFZ area).  I also put newspapers in all cages (not everyone
thinks that *inside* the litter box is required...as long as its in the
nearby vicinity!) and in specific areas throughout the house.  Some places
have a litter box on the newspapers, other areas just have newspapers.
I also found that putting large sheets of plastic (like plastic tarp
material) under an area, then putting newspapers on top, keeps the carpet
underneath in pretty good shape.

If its an area that has heavy usage, using thumb tacks to hold down the
plastic, keeps things neat.  You can also thumb-tack down the newspapers,
if necessary, to keep them from becoming toys!

Of course, Scotch Guard spray on your carpets before the ferts ever get
there, can save lots of money, so don't forget that part.

Finally, if you are putting newspapers in corners, remember to run the
paper several inches up the wall, since some like to park their
hindquarters right against the wall!  Again, tacking plastic backing to
the wall first protects the wall.  Tack the paper on afterwards.  It's
also acceptable to put litter on the newspaper, to keep the ferts on the
idea of using litter boxes, when available.  When it's time to change the
paper, just roll it up, fold the ends over and put in a plastic bag (I
re-use plastic grocery bags for this job), tie the top and toss in the
trash!  Its possible to gather up several corner's worth of newspaper per
bag, so don't waste!

Todd and the (Just Push Play!) Fuzzbutt Rodeo Clowns!
---
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.netconex.com/toddl/page2/