From:
the return of weezilarchy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 09:28:08 -0700
>From:    Michael Antonacci <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Hey everyone, my name is Mike and I am new to the list.  I have had a
>ferret for 1 year and I never had any problems with him before.  But
>lately I have been noticing litlle white worms in his poop....

chances are, you have fruitflies/gnats in the house. if you don't,
you're probably about to. it's possible that the ferret could have
worms, but from my understanding, this is uncommon--but from my
experience, it only takes a day or two for the gnat larvae to form in
the latrine. charming, no? even if the box is relatively clean, they'll
breed in the thing.

i haven't found a decent way to get rid of them, and even with diligent
cleaning they find a way to hang around--and as soon as you go "oh,
that box has only been used twice today, i'll get it tomorrow"-there
they are again.

to avoid this unpleasant situation, remove all moisture from the box
daily. if you can't do that due to ferrets needing their box "Seeded"
with a poop to recognize it, you may be doomed to sharing your life
with a handful of gnats.

on that topic, if ANYONE knows an effective and safe gnat-deterrent
that i could use in the room with the fuzz, PLEASE post it! this is a
*huge* problem for many of the fert ownees i've known in my area.

-kat-

=====
       (  / \" /
        \(_  \(_   ferrets may nip, but people just suck.