From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 13:37:14 -0500
In many taxonomic resources the terms "domestic" and "domesticated" are
used rather interchangeably.

>I think that Pam Grant did a survey a few years back of ferret owners and
>ferret health issues.  Although it wasn't very scientific, it seemed to
>indicate that there wasn't really a huge difference between the longevity
>and health

Was it Pam or was it Bob, or perhaps both?  My recollection was that it
may have been Bob Church.  Should be in the archives, no matter if it
was either/or, or both.

Remember, if such a survey is carried from a place other than where it
first appeared you need permission to do so due to copyright laws, but a
a person other than the author/owner may freely give a URL, or may use
quotes to include sections within a matrix the
person-other-than-original-author writes, or anyone may paraphrase.  In
reality, many people don't mind re-uses that aren't edited but still would
prefer the courtesy of first being asked and of being thanked afterward,
and certainly there are those who do mind strongly -- and who then may
react with a suit as newspapers/book publishers/magazines/authors
sometimes will if a story is carried in large-part to a public forum
(published in print or on Internet).  Appearing in a place where it can be
readily read does NOT make a piece public-property anymore than writing a
newspaper article does, even though newspapers -- both on-line and in
print -- are also widely accessible.  You will have noticed that some
pieces make a point of giving permission right in an article, as in the
cross-post which appeared yesterday on how to help the pets of military
people in which the author was careful to include cross-posting permission
up-front.  (If edited for a re-use then the new copy itself needs
permission to be received by someone re-using it elsewhere since it may be
altered in a way that changes meaning or makes the author look otherwise
incompetent; saving time is only one reason why so many publications using
quotes also use "[sic]".)