From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 22:22:37 -0500
>A woman I know rescues raccoon, she thinks she had distemper come
>in on a raccoon since several of them have gotten sick over the summer.
>Two survived.  She isn't sure it is distemper either.
>
>Anyway, she picked up 7 ferrets from a lady in another city while I...

Dear X:

Many cases of distemper become evident in 13 days, but not all.  Non-
ferret adapted strains may take up to 45 days to become evident based on
clinical signs.  Antibody titers will generally show exposure within 2-4
weeks, but are often not cost effective.

I would be very careful taking ferrets from someone with a history of
distemper in the facility, in spite of all assurances, and would suggest
that a quarantine run the full 45 days.  Also, I would strongly recommend
that you check into the new Merial Purevax vaccine for your four
old-timers, especially in light of this new development.

Ultraviolet lights in my experience are not especially effective in
decreasing pathogens, and many bacteria and viruses in facilities tend
to hide in moist cracks and crevices, away from their effects.  Routine
disinfection of bowls, cages, etc.  with a virucidal cleaner such as
Parvocide or Rocal will help; however the best advice is that people who
rescue raccoons stick to raccoons.  The only case of rabies in a mustelid
that I ever saw (It was actually a mink, not a ferret.) was contracted
from wild raccoons.  Using the same cages for raccoons and ferrets (at
different times of course) is a risky business.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM