From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 12:19:00 -0700
I recently picked up a ferret who was turned in as a "give up" to a small
breeder.

I was really disturbed by the conditions in which his ferrets were housed
- it was a small room, several cages, lots of poop, dirty bedding, etc.

The ferret I picked up was full of fleas.  Yes, it's possible he came with
them, but you'd think that anyone who considered themself a "rescue" would
check for that before bringing them anywhere near their other animals and
this ferret had been with the breeder for at least a few days.  I cannot
imagine that the guy I picked up is the only one with flees - if he was,
he's undoubtedly shared them after his arrival.

I think I have some pretty normal standards as far as cleanliness go, I
wash bedding 2xweek, scoop 2xday and if something is on the cage bottom,
on the floor, on the wall, I clean it up when I see it....not a week
later.

I'm sure this person has provided permenant care for several ferrets and
adoptive homes for many others.  I hate to cast stones at someone who's
doing good deeds, but I question doing them if you're not able to do so
in accordance with minimum standards.  Maybe I'm too picky?  The ferrets
looked healthy, he handled them with care - the place was just dirty.  And
judging from his private residence, I don't think I just caught him on a
bad day - he's just plain got a different level of "acceptable" than I do.

So, to act or not to act....that is the question.

[JY]