From:
Bobbi McCanse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 00:50:56 -0500
I was able to contact the breed rescue coordinator, Ginny, at Wayside
Waifs today and this is what I was told.  The State of Missouri conducted
a raid on a very bad breeder in Holt County (some small city, not Macon).
They confiscated 47 ferrets, some is poor condition, and all have had
veterinary assessment and attention.  The ferrets still technically belong
to the breeder but there will be a hearing in early November, the 6th or
the 9th Ginny thinks, where their fate will be determined.  Ginny also
thinks that they will become available for adoption but there is no
guarentee of this yet.  She gave me the name and number of the person at
state level who is responsible for projects such as this and I will
attempt to contact him next week, sooner than later.  And I will share
whatever information he will give me.

I suggested that our vets, who are very ferret knowledgeable, be
contacted about caring for the ferrets that are ill.  Some apparently have
significant hair loss.  I was told that they have list of approved vets
and apparently our are not on it.  Again, perhaps the state person can do
something about this, if he will.  Wayside is not allowed to euthanize,
or even treat, rescued animals in this sort of situation without approval
from the state.  So for the moment these guys are as safe as they can be
and have had veterinary attention.  I do know that some of the animal
attendents at Wayside like ferrets very much.  There is hope.

Bobbi McC. KC Ferret Hotline and Shelter