Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 22:53:55 EDT
When it was all over, I fought back choking tears, and kept saying "oh my
God, oh my God: my God."

I was home late from a long days work and errands.  Ferret soup and meds
given, I was cleaning litter boxes, washing dishes, laying fresh papers,
spilling a huge Tupperware container of duck soup all over the cabinets,
walls, and refrigerator.

My neighbor stopped by for some prescription cat food I picked up for him,
I had the dishes put away, and headed past the den.  Too chilly for the
porch door to remain open any longer.

It was then I saw the screen door open and a large black feral cat with
glowing jade green eyes standing in front of the open door.  All the
ferrets were lose, the wild animals were out, and the screen door was
open.  Oh my God.

I grabbed my emergency squeaky toy and flashlight-always kept in the same
spot, and began squeaking, calling, searching, and grabbing ferrets.  I
would search a room thoroughly, then close the door so no ferret could get
in, and go on to the next room.

Maria-the tiny bald burnt girl who is now too funny looking/adorable for
words- Gone.

I grabbed some warm clothes and out I went-scaring away an opossum and the
black feral cat.  The raccoons were not present.  I walked up and down the
back of the house up to the waters edge calling her name.  I looked on the
ground for her little body.  I looked on the ground for the blood I so
often see.

I found her within a few minutes.  She came up onto the porch and stood
there peeking up at me.  I found her.  Alive.

Many of you know that fear.  Know that panic.

I thank God tonight for the miracle of the little old girls life.  She
walked among hungry wild animals and was not hurt in any way.  She walked
up to me on a cold dark night.  She could have been long gone.

I put her to bed with the others and walked into the kitchen.  The pain
just zapped me.  The reality of how close she came to death.

My God-Thank you with all my heart for saving my little girl.
My God, My God, My God.