From:
Rachel Zuckerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 21:33:58 -0700
Hi everyone,
Haven't posted in a while but I just had to put in my proverbial two cents
as far as the "disabled" ferret discussion goes.  My Lola is deaf, but I
just figured this out a few months ago-- I think I would have known sooner
if it had just been her, she's really good at picking up cues from Illura.
I don't see it as a handicap at all, you can tell her nose gives her more
information than her ears probably would.  I've seen both my girls wake up
from a deep sleep, especially if they haven't seen me in a little while,
if i put a hand in front of their noses.  (ok, so it might not work if
they're absolutely comatose, but I'm trying to make a point here!) Anyway,
back to the subject: in response to whoever posted today about dooking
deaf ferrets, Lola is the talkiest ferret I have ever heard!  I think it's
because she can't hear how loud she's being.  Dooka dooka dook when she's
chasing Illura, dooka dooka dook when Illura's chasing her, squeaking like
crazy when they're wrestling, more dooking when she runs away into the
next room and makes Mama chase her, etc.  She even dooks and hisses in her
sleep.  Lola also seems to like a bit more physical contact with me than
Illura does.  She often jumps on me when i'm lying on the bed, stands on
my chest for a second, and just looks at me, like "ok, here you are...
that's good." Ok, that's it for my little catalogue of Lola's noises,
sorry this is kinda rambly!

Love to everyone and their fuzzies.

Rachel and da wild weaselinas