From:
United Ferret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 13:49:25 -0600
I do not understand the rational behind euthanizing a ferret when they are
blind or deaf.  First of all, ferrets have poor eye sight anyway.  Out of
our 15, we have discovered on that is blind.  We did not notice until we
were wondering why he always walked around with his head up in the air.
Does this stop him in any way?  Not likely, we even moved to a new house
and he quickly adapted to his new room and even with the constant room
re-arrangments, he manages without any problems.

As for deaf ferrets, we have ferret sat a few of them and to be perfectly
honest, could not tell the differnce between him and the others, except
this one did not listen.  But if that was the case, than every ferret in
the world is deaf, along with cats, and some dogs.  For that matter, most
children and definitly get your teenagers ears checked.

SO the point to this is if your ferret looses all their teeth and can no
longer eat, maybe then maybe its for their own good, but come on, if we
euthanized all blindness in the world, we would not of had the sweet sound
of Ray Chales or upbeat blasts of Stevie Wonder.  Remember even the great
Beetovan was stone deaf.

Rick
U.F.O.