From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 17:51:22 -0400
[There is an on-going discussion on the FHL right now about what should
or should not be in an emergency kit (and which items are appropriate for
various levels of expertise).  I had reminded folks that aspirin's effect
varies WIDELY among ferrets so not only would it obviously be dangerous
when bleeding is happening or a wound in present, but also it may be
dangerous other times for some individuals.  We once almost lost one who
was tried on a very minimal dose for anti-coagulative properties which
would have benefited her at the time, and it almost killed her instead.
To see these or other discussions go to:

I will agree with Sukie in that aspirin is probably not appropriate for an
emergency kit for a number of reasons.  It is not a good pain reliever in
emergency cases, and its effects are extremely unpredictable, especially
in dehydrated patients.  Pain relief in urgent cases is probably best
administered by a vet.  Masking of pain can make diagnosis of an urgent
condition a tricky affair.

I am not a fan of immodium for diarrhea really in any species.  Most cases
of diarrhea arise from the bodies' need to move noxious agents, products,
etc out of the body quickly - why interfere with the process.  In only a
couple of instances, will I consider the use of these agents, and then
it is usually only if diarrhea is profuse and dehydrating, possibly as a
result of an enterotoxin.  Even if stools are liquid, if the animal is
maintaining its hydration, or we can supplement it with fluids to maintain
hydration, I think it is best to stand back and let the body move
everything along at the pace it feels is best.  (The best professor I ever
had taught me this nugget, as we worked together in the wards during the
big parvo outbreak of the early eighties.  No one got immodium, everyone
"blew mud" every couple of minutes, we wore out several mops a day, but
our survival rate far exceeded anyone's expectations.)

Activated charcoal is given via stomach tube; hydrogen peroxide is
squirted in the back of the throat with a syringe.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM