From:
April Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2001 15:44:42 -0400
Hi.  When we are traveling for a long period of time and have the room, we
put our fuzzies in a long, modified Rubbermaid-type clear container that
fits across the back seat of my Honda Civic-it takes up the middle and one
side, and someone can still sit next to it.  It's probably about 3' long x
1.5' wide x 1.5' deep, give or take.  They use it as a portable food and
water bottle and snuggle area in my office or bedroom or wherever we're
visiting where they don't have their big cage to go back to (we keep the
lid off then).  The top has a million holes drilled in it as well as some
in the sides for air flow (of course we don't use plastic containers as a
regular cage).

We use a clear plastic shoebox without the lid for a litterbox-they're
used to the high sides from their home potties-that we tape to the floor
of the "carrier" using loops of packing tape so they can easily be removed
yet the fuzzies can't flip the box and it doesn't slide everywhere.  The
high sides prevent litter spillage, misses and flying litter from digging
or driving movement.  We can then use their regular litter.

We drilled holes in the top edge to accomodate the wire hanger of a
full-size water bottle (the lid still fits over it) and a hole in the
lower part of the side for the spout.  I line the whole "cage" with towels
and a smaller one under the bottle absorbs drips from it and the rest of
the towels keep the bottom soft, except for under the litterbox, so we can
tape that directly to the plastic bottom.  They also have either towels
or the great afghan that Aunt Kat made them for covers and snuggling at
the opposite end from the litter box.  The water bottle is right in the
middle, and the food bowl is on the opposite side from that.  closer to
the litter box end, but not right next to the litter.

They have lots of room to eat, sleep, even wrestle, and when we get where
we're going I change out the towels in case they've gotten wet with the
dripping water bottle (they're sleep area stays dry, though).  We take out
the litterbox and provide them with a full-size one wherever we end up.

We take them camping-we have a big tent that has lots of room for their
litterbox and travel "cage" or carrier without being right on top of where
we sleep.  Our tent material is resistant to their claws if they try to
climb it (they can't) and we make sure the mesh windows are rolled up
enough that they can't reach the mesh, since they probably could tear
that.  We cinch the door zippers shut with a clip (the end of a leash
works great!) when we are sleeping or they are loose in the tent b/c
Finnegan will otherwise unzip the door and escape!

We have found this to be a perfect travel solution.  When we can't fit the
bigger "cage" in the car, we do use their carrier, with a smaller water
bottle affixed to the outside of the carrier's wire door, and maybe their
food bowl at the front with sleeping area at the back, but it's hard to
fit a potty in there, so we just stop to let them out when they wake up
and need to go (they usually just sleep in the carrier, whereas in the big
travel cage, they sometimes play).

Hope this helps!

-April, Nicodemus and Finnegan