From:
Donna Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 13:41:04 EDT
Hi everyone, I hope all is well with you and your fuzzies.

I just took our two little girls to see the vet for their shots and was
surprised to hear what my Vet said about Adv.  He told me that there was
this new virus called adv.  (Which I have learned from being a member of
this list that it's not so new).  He also told me that it would be in our
best interest to have the girls tested.  He also said that if they have
Adv that they are going to die.  He said it was like Aids and that they
would probably die before they turn 3.  He said he just learned this
after attending some sort of seminar about ferrets.  I was shocked!!

I was under the impression that a ferret could be a carrier of the disease
and never develop symptoms of the disease.  In fact I thought I read on
White Russian's web site that most will never develop symptoms and not to
panic.  Is this something new or have I misunderstood?

I have no problem with getting the girls tested.  I learned about adv
testing about one year ago.  We never asked about testing because we are
never around any other ferrets.  The pet store where I buy my food does
not sell ferrets.  So we decided not to have them tested.  Do you believe
they still should be tested?

If anyone could help set things straight for me I would greatly appreciate
it.  Please feel free to e-mail me privately at [log in to unmask]

As always, thank you so much for your help.

Hugs and Kisses to all the fuzzies!!
Sincerely,
Donna