Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:28:02 -0700
When the thread on favorite ferrets started, I thought it was cute.  Then
I thought, here we go again... Then I found I couldn't read *just one* <G>
I have seen each of my ferrets, and a lot of myself in these posts.  Since
I've had them only 5 months, I am not sure I'm allowed a favorite.  Some
of you have such sweet stories of many years together.  Some just a few
weeks.  Yet each of you was touched by a ferret, I'm just beginning to
understand that special feeling.  I will share just one *favorite* moment
with my Parris.  Quick background, she was almost dead when she arrived in
a shipment of kits.  To tiny to eat, nearly frozen.  Her former mom (pet
store employee) hand fed her for weeks.  She then lived with 8 other cage
mates 1-1/2 years till I adopted her last May.  I knew she was nippy, but
felt up to the task as I have an old Parrot that will bite me whenever he
can.  First week here, Parris buried her teeth in my hand and let go only
long enough to do it 2 more times.  I lived to tell the story, got lots of
encouragement and ideas from this list.  As of 2 weeks ago, she still
bites, but not as bad.  All this time I had *return privileges* from her
first mom.  All this time I would have this thought in the back of my
mind.  If she continued to bite, I could take her back.  Bad attitude, but
it was THERE... Not long ago I took Parris to visit her former mom and get
help in trimming her nails.  I mentioned she had chomped me a few days
earlier.  Just part of the conversation.  Former mom says *do you want me
to take her back, no hard feelings, you can pick another ferret*.  (cage
full of babies) Well folks, at that moment, I had a *favorite*.  Those
words were said out loud, right in front of my sweet Princess in the white
fur coat.  I grabbed and hugged her little squishy,shmooshie, furry self
and said she wasn't going anywhere but home with me.  Will she chomp me
again?  Perhaps.  I no longer have the idea in my mind or heart that I
would/could take her back.  Maybe now, she will understand I love her.  I
know I do......

In Touch, Ardith
mailto:[log in to unmask]