Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 21:48:15 -0400
From:
scruffyou <[log in to unmask]>
Clear DayHey Hey Hey,

Recently our group was contacted by someone who knew someone who had bred
a female ferret.  The little mother died giving birth to 4 kits.  We were
contacted 2 days after their birth.  Their previous caretaker had been
feeding them (we dont know what) with an eye dropper but wanted someone,
anyone to come and take them.  Several of our members tried to contact
this woman.  Finally it was told to one of our members that she had given
the kits to some one that was going to give them a home.  She did not
know who or how to contact them.

A valued member of our club did some medical research to try to find help
for these kits.  She found only one instance where kits were entirely hand
raised and lived.  This was done by an experienced breeder and long time
ferret owner.

It is very doubtful that these kits survived.  Like all of our club
members, I wanted to do something, anything to help.  It is too late for
these little ones.  All I can do now is try to provide a memorial for
them so I wrote the following poem in their honor.

        Five Shooting Stars

One gravid flame pulsing with light,
tendons straining to bring forth life.

Four tiny sparks emerge through birth's travail,
but the mothers life does not prevail.

Four tiny kits conceived in ignorance,
never to dook, never to dance.

Flickering briefly and then they are gone,
straight to the Bridge to be with their mom.

Those who could have helped were contacted too late.
Wringing our hands and decrying their fate.

Now in lush green fields they sparkle above
wrapped about securely in their Makers love.

HappyTails,
Karen and the Scruff You Gang
Secretary Dook-N-Dance Ferret Shelter
www.dook-n-dance.org