Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 20:40:23 -0700
From:
Debi Christy <[log in to unmask]>
#1 place several pieces of the litter in a glass of water and let it stand
for 8 hours or overnight.

Does it expand in size without breaking apart into smaller particles?  If
so, it's not safe for ferrets.

#2 place a layer of litter in a bowl or ashtray and drip a teaspoon of
water into it and let it stand for 10 minutes.

Does it get sticky?  If so, it's not safe for ferrets.

These two critical tests apply to any and all litter materials, regardless
of composition, organic or inorganic, brand or price.

Because:
#1 If it expands in size without breaking into small particles it can get
into nasal passages where it will absorb moisture and expand.  If it does
not cause suffocation, it will eventually cause irritation and infection.
It is virtually impossible to remove.

#2 If it gets sticky in the litter box before it dries into a clump, it
will get sticky in a wet ferret nasal passage as it clumps together.

I have not tested the wheat clumping litter, so I can't tell you whether
or not it passes these tests.  Because it is organic, the dangers
generally associated with swallowing the litter should be somewhat
reduced.  I would think the organic elements would eventually be broken
down to a size the intestinal tract could pass.  But also bear in mind,
potatos, carrots, & apples have been known to remain in the stomach long
enough to irritate the stomach lining causing an ulcer to form.

BUT...
I am highly suspicious of any litter that says "clumping" based solely on
the fact that there must be some agent added to it that acts as a "glue"
when it becomes wet.  "Glue", in my mind, is necessarily sticky when wet.
I'd be interested to know how this litter holds up to testing.

==
Debi Christy
Ferrets First Foster Home
http://www.geocities.com/ferretsfirst/