Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 12:16:18 -0600
From:
John Rosloot <[log in to unmask]>
It's with a heavy heart that I report that my Sammy is not expected to
live through the day.

Sammy has been having liver trouble since April.  It started the day after
he had surgery to remove a skin bump (benign).  I don't know if or how it
could have related to the surgery; this was Sammy's third such procedure,
and other of my ferrets have been through it without trouble.

Anyway, we've been experimenting with Sammy's diet since then, trying to
keep him healthy while limiting protein to reduce the strain on the liver,
and providing fibre to keep him regular.  Last week I tried a new food,
Iams weight control with hairball care, and Sammy immediately got the
runs.  I put him back on his old food, but he had the runs bad all week.
He was improving toward the end of the week, through the weekend, and even
last night.  Yesterday we started him on Hills Prescription Liver Diet.

Overnight Sammy took a rapid turn for the worse.  He hasn't eaten or drank
since last night.  This morning he was very weak and refused food.  He
wouldn't even take some corn syrup.

Based on his rapid decline, and on blood and urine tests, the vet
believes Sammy's liver function has failed entirely.  He says Sammy is
not suffering, but will become more and more tired.  Likely he will
eventually just go to sleep and never wake up.  He did give him a shot
which is supposed to help prevent any nausea or discomfort, but other
than that Sammy should just drift off peacefully on his own.

Even at the vet Sammy was very sleepy.  Since then he has gone to sleep
and is not very responsive to his surroundings.

I could not bring myself to have Sammy put down.  I hope I made the right
decision.  The vet assures me Sammy is not suffering, so I am letting him
spend his remaining hours asleep in my shirt.  I want him to pass away in
familiar surroundings, with those who love him close at hand.

Since I got Sammy as a baby in June 1994, he's been the friendliest,
snuggliest ferret I've ever met.  Many people have commented on his sweet
temperament.  He's had a number of medical problems over the years, but
has had so many miraculous recoveries that I've taken to calling him my
'miracle boy'.  Sadly it seems Sammy has no more miracles left.

Goodbye my little Sammerman.  I'll hold you in my arms till the end, and
in my heart forever afterwards.

--
John Rosloot, Caregiver to Sammy, and the New Little Ones
With loving memories of my dear departed Buddy,