From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 22:18:17 -0500
>One of our ferrets was just diagnosed with insulinoma, given that she
>exhibited many of the symptoms and had a fasting BG level of around
>60.  We're unsure of her age, but believe she's about four, and is
>otherwise in good health.
>
>Our vet's recommendation was to not do surgery but treat it
>medically, putting our ferret on Prednisone.  A consideration with
>the surgery was that there is no assurance for how long it would be
>effective, and in as little as 6 mo. we might be back where we
>started.

Dear X:

Here is the way that I usually approach this issue.  Yes, 40% of
insulinomas recur in about 10 months or so.  However that leaves
about a 60% cure rate.

Now if we assume that one month in a ferret's life equals about one year
in a human's life, let's make an analogy with you (nothing like getting
personal).  If someone told you that you had a tumor, and removing it
surgically would ensure you a minimum of six years tumor- free life, more
likely ten years, and there would be a 60% chance that you would never be
bothered by it again, what would YOU do?

Additionally, when combined with partial pancreatectomy, the average
tumor-free interval jumps to about 12 months (published paper I wrote
with Charlie Weiss years ago in JAAHA.)

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM