From:
Michael Janke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 06:49:55 -0400
>From:    Tanya Grave <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Adrenal behaviors
>
>Well I think I may have my first ferret illness in over 4 years of ferrety
>ownership.  My DEW Unagi (F, 4.5 yrs/MF) has massive hair loss just below
>her shoulders and around her rib cage.  She does not have the typical
>adrenal hair loss pattern...

Unagi DOES have the typical hair loss pattern.  Bilateral hair loss
anywhere on the body is almost always adrenal related when we're talking
about ferrets.

Sometimes it's across the shoulders or down the back or on the rump at the
base of the tail or a combination of these or even none of these.  They
could also have hair loss on the tops of the feet (usually starting with
the rear feet), the top of the head, or no hair loss at all.  Behavior
such as unusual agressiveness or return to sexual behavior can also be an
indicator, with or without hair loss.  In females, they may have a swollen
vulva, but that is not always the case either.  It's safe to say that
ferrets rarely read the book on the symptoms of adrenal disease.

An ultrasound for adrenal problem detection is almost always a waste of
money.  I believe the UofT adrenal panel is a little more reliable than
your vet indicates, but I would reserve that test for cases were there was
some doubt.  From your description of Unagi, there doesn't seem to be much
doubt and your money would be better spent going directly for surgery.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael Janke, [log in to unmask]
* South Florida Ferret Help Line, 305-752-7040
*
* Website:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc
*