From:
Bobbi McCanse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 21:35:21 -0500
I am posting this as an initial heads-up as we do not yet have solid
information about exactly what has happened here.  A local TV station
carried a story today about a "raid" on a no-kill shelter in Kansas City.
There were reportedly 50 ferrets seized (rumor has it there were 40 to 70)
from someone who billed themselves as a shelter and who were in reality
breeding as well.  I was unaware that there was another shelter in the
metro area although we hear rumors of assorted irresponsible breeders from
time to time.  All of these ferrets were reportedly taken to Wayside
Waifs, a local Humane Society shelter, and then placed with various vets
for assessment and treatment.  Our own vets have heard nothing of this.  I
have tried to reach the breed rescue person at the shelter and she did
return my call while I was out (picking up a ferret from another local
shelter).  It will be tomorrow before I can possibly get any kind of
straight story.

Wayside Waifs has a history of being quick to put down animals, ferrets
and others, who are found to have "temperament" problems.  They killed a
ferret earlier this year because it bit someone who reached into it's cage
shortly after he, and his 9 brothers and sisters, had been "turned in".
Despite my loud protests there is no evidence that the policy has changed.
In short, I fear for these ferrets and am looking for advice and resources
to help deal with this situation.  Our shelter is nearly full at 51
foundlings and, although we could take more, 40 to 70 more would surely
+-+++overwhelm us.  We can probably find the resources to pay for
veterinary care but we do not have the space or volunteer staff to provide
good care for 100 or more ferrets.

I will post more as soon as I can get reliable information.  In the
meantime I would be grateful to anyone in the KC area who would like to
give Channel 4, the Fox network, a call at 816-753-4567, and ask them to
clarify that the shelter "raided" was not ours.

Bobbi McC., Shelter Directress and Benign Despot
KC Ferret Hotline and Shelter