From:
Barbara Griswold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 09:19:27 EDT
>Regarding good vets in the area, I have had my buddies to the Seneca
>Animal Hospital in East Aurora often.  they are very knowledgeable in
>ferrets and come highly recommended by other ferret owners.  However,
>recently I took all the kids in for inoculations to the Yorkshire
>Veterinary Clinic in Chaffee, about 15 miles south of East Aurora.  My vet
>(I don't recall her name at this time) was very compassionate and admitted
>to owning a ferret.  I must admit that the prices were very affordable,
>and due to the location was conducive for us in regard to travel time.

I live in Corning, NY...a good 2.5 hours from Buffalo ( East Aurora).  I
drive to Brockport, NY, just west of Rochester.  2 hours each way for me.
Dr. Edwards of the Brockport Animal Hospital is rated as one of the best
ferret vets in NYS.  He sees on average 20 ferrets a week or more.  Not
only that he's an A number one surgeon.  He performed a touchy vena cava
ligation on my Gus man last March...the tumor had invaded the liver...Gus
now has a new lease on life and is better than ever.  Dr. Edwards also
makes a conscious effort to keep his prices low so that people can afford
to take care of their animals properly.  As I recall, I paid in the
neighborhood of $230 for the ligation and overnight stay.  A second,
almost as important plus as Doc himself, is his techie Mary who lives on
site.  She is extremely knowledgeable about ferrets (she has 8 or so of
her own plus helps with 3 shelters) and is on call after surgeries all
night long.

It is most definitely worth the drive as I know my kids are getting the
best of the best in my opinion.

For what it's worth to you all in the Buffalo area!  Come to Brockport!
Good prices and immense amount of ferret knowledge and skill.

Barb and the 7 whirling dervishes...Gus, Zak, Hope, Bren, Kate, Cher and
Tess

Please give to Aleutian Disease research...the ferret you save may be your
own.  http://www.geocities.com/russiansmom