From:
Shelby Kimura <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 08:48:23 -0600
The International Ferret Symposium Committee has decided NOT to change the
date for Ferrets 2002 in Las Vegas, February 1-3, 2002.

I want to thank everyone who provided us input to help make our decision,
and to explain to you why we considered the change.

As I mentioned before, the NFL has changed the date of the Superbowl to
Feb 3.  Many wonder why this has anything to do with us, since the
Superbowl is in New Orleans, and won't even start until the Symposium is
over.

However, Superbowl weekend is a big party time in Las Vegas.  I think I
recall hearing that it is the most heavily betted on sporting event in the
country.  And people go to LV to place bets.  According to someone who has
been in LV the last 3 Superbowl weekends, we can expect crowded airports,
hotels, and restaurants, as well as lots of rowdy football fans.  For
those who have not yet booked flights or rooms, bargains will be hard to
come by.

Our hotel urged us to change the date.  Yes, it is in their financial
interest to move us to a less crowded weekend, but they also showed a
genuine concern for the atmosphere that would surround our convention.

On the other hand are people who have made their plans months in advance,
booking flights and hotel rooms, and making arrangements with employers
for time off.  Some other ferret events were even rescheduled to avoid
conflict with Ferrets 2002.  Many people who had planned to attend would
not be able to if the date changed, or only at significant additional
expense.  The Committee has been promoting the event on this date for
several months, and we would have to find ways to notify people of the
change.

Also and very importantly, 2 of our major speakers could not make the
alternate date.  Their absence would leave a gaping hole in our Symposium
schedule that would be hard to fill.

So we decided to keep the same date.  If you know people who are planning
to attend, but have not yet sent in their registration, please urge them
to do so.

**Booking hotel rooms as soon as possible is especially important--we have
a limited number of rooms at the low conference rate.**

Room sharing is also encouraged.  We also urge that travel arrangments be
made as soon as possible.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me or one of the
other committee members.

Linda Iroff  [via Shelby]
http://ferretsymposium.mdex.ca