From:
D CHRISTEN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 18:26:31 -0500
I am making this post even though it is not ferret related, but...i am an
animal lover, from reptile/to furred.

My daughter called me @ work today, and asked me if she could bring home
(?) an albino python...well, told her i had to talk to her father first
about this, (we had wanted snakes before) so not an unusual request in
this house.  Thinking about all the furred animals we have, especially the
furred ones, as there are few with scales right now, i did not think it
was a really good idea even if she said she would keep it in her bedroom.
(Lynn has 3 small dogs?) & always keeps her door closed, so i just
visualized this reptile versus nippy Foxy (italian greyhound) and of
course feared for the snake as well as the dog.  I found out it is a 6
foot, albino ball python, after she called a 2nd time for a response,
which was No, not a good idea.  For the safety of the reptile as well as
all the animals we have here, and very little room to keep everyone apart,
especially when un supervised.  When i told her no she wasn't too upset.
(sorry for the long story)

Well, I know Kim?  Ferrets for Dummies (Kim) runs an exotics shelter, and
was hoping that she may read this post, and be able to refer the owner to
a GOOD SHELTER HOME, for this reptile?  I really don't like the idea of
it going to someone who is not educated in reptile care/nor prepared for
caring for such a LARGE ONE?

BTW, my daughter works as a vet assistant at a clinic, that is how she
came to find out about the snake, the father of the son (owner) wants to
be sure that it goes to a good home, and that is why i am turning to all
of you, maybe someone can filter some good suggestions our way?

We live in Kenosha, Wisconsin...north of Chicago/south of Milwaukee, and
have even considered having him contact the Milwaukee Zoo?

I am making this post, because, even though some of you may cringe at the
thought of it being a reptile/ie; snake, it is still a living animal &
truly deserves just as good a home as we provide for our furred ones.  It
has come to this, because it probably was sold @ a pet store that is
interested in the financial end of selling exotics, and there are many who
are interested in owning snakes.  My husband had a friend in Calif.  who
had Burmese Pythons, HE HAD TO DONATE THEM TO A ZOO, they are huge.
People just don't realize, since we do not live where these creatures are
native, just exactly how large they become, and the requirements of
maintenance for them, so eventually, they like so many other of our animal
world, have been forced to find new homes.  IF i had a home big enough to
dedicate a space, completely secured away from all of my other animals, it
would be welcomed here, not because i want to look ????  intriguing, or
otherwise, a status thing, but because i just feel that way about animals,
i respect them.  They were given a life to live on this planet just like
the rest of us.

Please email me, i am going to try to find Kim's email information etc,
but if anyone knows how i can contact her, or even if she would be willing
to offer some advice for this person, that we can pass on, i would like to
help find a good lifelong home for this reptile.

Also, one more request, please keep my friend Denise in your prayers, she
lost a ferret to a very tragic accident the other day (i will not go into
detail), and she is just heartbroken, i was at work when she called me,
and did not know about it till i saw her phone number on my caller id,
and returned her call.  She is terribly sad, upset, and heartbroken about
this, and is a very good person in her heart.  Right now she just needs a
lot of prayers to learn forgiveness for herself.  I spent nearly an hour
on the phone, long distance with her, trying to console her.  Nothing will
bring this little one back, but if she gives up caring for ferrets in
need of shelter and homes, there are just all that many more who will go
without.  Dee has taken care of ferrets for many, many years, and is very
dedicated to the ones she has.

Thank you all

please, please, please, help the girls out with the Utah rescue!  Match
TLE's challenge of $5 donation, we spend a lot of our hard earned dollars
on STUFF, stuff.that cannot love you in return, just be used to measure
our worth, so to speak...save a life, a ferrety one and help the girls out
whom have done what they could to save these ferrets, hug your own, and be
thankful that yours have not had to come to you through a rescue attempt
like this.  Some of these girls are their own sole support, and very
dedicated to caring for these ferrets, making many sacrifices for them.

Gotta go or i am gonna get this back at me..
sincerely
donna and her 4 Utah ferrets & addtl fur children