From:
Holly Gorrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 15:48:23 -0400
>My basic point is that after 9 plus years of ferret ownership (only 3
>ferrets), that I will ONLY use Clumping Litter as with my 3 ferrets NONE
>of them have ever played in Clumping Litter and 2 of those 3 DID play in
>"regular litter" and came up sneezing.  Think about it.

I would still tend to worry about the fact that most ferrets will wipe
their butts in the litter after they use the litterbox.  The clumping
litter will stick to them if they do that, which can cause lots of
irritation.  If they try to lick it off, there is also a danger that they
will swallow it and possibly develop an obstruction.  Sounds like the
"regular litter" used may have been clay litter, which does not work very
well with ferrets due to all the dust.

I personally prefer to use something I know will be safe for my babies,
such as the woodstove pellets or newspaper pellets.  One of my babies will
play bulldozer through the woodstove pellets if the litter box is very
clean, but it does not seem to hurt him in any way.  If they were to
swallow the wood pellets or the newspaper pellets, odds are it wouldn't
really hurt them in long run.  I don't mean to be judgemental toward
anyone who uses clumping litter, and it may work out fine for some
ferrets, but there are potential problems with it.  Why not play it safe?

Holly
Tigger & Pooh