From:
"Amber Patterson (858)694-3135" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 10:53:20 -0700
I'm a sucker when it comes to animals.  I only adopt the elderly/sick
ferrets, unless there is a young one in need of a home.  Why?  Because it
is easier to adopt out a younger healthy one than it is a sick/elderly
one.

I have lost many ferrets over the year to cancer and old age.  Three went
within a month of each other and 2 went just a few weeks ago.  It hurts,
beleive me I know.  But these little guys need homes.  It isn't fair that
they should be loved and them dumped because they aren't "perfect." They
are perfect to me and others like me.  What I can't understand, is how
someone can just abandon them because they got old and sick.  All I have
to say on that, is when you get old and sick..  would you want your
children to put you in a home because they couldn't bare to watch you
get old?

Nickademus was my special little guy..  he was 5-6 when I got him and
had three types of cancer.  He didn't have the curve in his back because
of an earlier accident in his life.  His little tail was bare except for a
little tuft of fur at the very end.  He was the sweetest little guy in the
whole world.  He liked to curl up on my lap when I was reading a book or
watching tv and be petted.  He slept with me at night (even on his last
two days when he couldn't control his bladder.)  Nickademus taught me the
one thing in life that matters.  You have to love everyone and get back
up when life knocks you down.  I never got to really bond with my other
ferrets, they all passed on shortly (a few days to a few months after I
got them..  I had Nickademus for a year.)

Big hugs and ferret kisses.
Amb