From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 11:37:11 -0500
The Florida transporters had a blow out which delayed them by 4 hours,
though we thought it would be longer.  The initial loading in Utah was
delayed also by 4 hours.  The OK and KS transporters were originally
scheduled to meet in Limon CO but because of the late start time in Utah,
they drove to Denver.  The Utah transporters didn't get into Denver till
around 2:00 a.m.  Then the ferrets were changed to different carriers,
food and water checked, and settled in the vans.  The KS transporters
didn't sleep that night and left Denver about 5:30 a.m. and drove straight
through to MO, arriving at their destination around 11 p.m..  Initially
they had planned to meet the Florida transporters in Joplin and also
someone who was going to take any large group that had to stay together.
I had clearly stressed that all groups were to remain together, no
separation no matter how large a group.  Unfortunately that group had
accidently been loaded into the OK transporter's van but wasn't discovered
till later in the day.  Because of the delay of the Florida transporters,
I needed to find a place the ferrets could stay over as the KS
transporters still had a 5 hour drive after making the connection in MO.
I asked the person that was going to take the large group, and there was a
converted carport that could be used.  None of us knew at this time of a
possible ADV exposure.  Pens were set up so the ferrets could get out and
exercise and carriers cleaned.  I didn't ask how many pens and
unfortunately only 3 pens were set up.  When the KS transporters arrived
they were very tired.  They unloaded the carriers from the van.  Then the
ferrets were let out in the pens, all 51 of them... mixed... even
singles... One of the transporters was sitting in the van getting
directions home while the other was trying to count ferrets as they were
put into the pens....

This was not an intentional move to mix them up, it was a concerned
caretaker wanting to get them out of the little travel cages so they could
get exercise and the cages cleaned before the next leg of the trip, and
the very tired transporter not thinking clearly because of lack of sleep
(at this point about 35 hours).  It was very unfortunate that it happened
and the MO person and the KS transporters are aware of the error.
Unfortunately, even after being told, by 3 of us that all the ferrets were
to go on to Jackie, the person picked 10 ferrets to keep....

The possible exposure came up when the MO person recently told Jackie
that one ferret, 7 1/2 yrs old, recently died, the vet called and said he
tested positive for ADV.  Jackie was also told that all the other ferrets
were healthy.  The ADV possible exposure scare is still being worked on
to try and find out more information.  The building the ferrets stayed
overnight in was a storage area.  They did not have contact with other
ferrets there.

The illnesses the ferrets at Jackie's are going through could be related
to many different things though we certainly know stress is definitely one
of them, others could be a change of water, change of food, exposure to
others that were ailing in MO when they were mixed, etc.  The ferrets had
been kept at animal control for 9 days before they were moved and for who
knows how long in the condo.  Several died while at animal control.  The
majority of these little ones were not in good, or even fair condition
when this started.  I didn't see them, I didn't have to.  I've worked
enough rescues to know what will be found in these situations.  I did see
one little old lady that was going to a home here in KS and she was just
fur over bones..... sigh... fortunately her new home and family has been
able to help her and she is eating up a storm.

We know what has happened and we cannot change it.  It is time to move
forward.  Instead of placing blame, we need to work together to 'ferret'
out the facts and deal with the issues.  Mistakes were made.  What is done
is done.

There were many obstacles to overcome in this relocation effort.  With the
tragedy on Tuesday there was no way to get carriers or supplies or ADV
test kits shipped to animal control in time for the move.  Even if we
could have, none of us could afford the $2350 for adv test kits in
addition to travel and supply costs of our own.  Because the ferrets
health was already compromised, we needed to move them out ASAP.  We found
out Wednesday, late afternoon that we could move them.  The morning of the
move, 2 had died during the night.  The longer we delayed, the more that
would have died.  We didn't jump in blindly and all knew there was a risk.
This is what rescue is all about.  Do you NOT rescue the animal because of
a risk?  The ones that need us most are the ones that are at the highest
risk.  If given the opportunity, I would do it all again.  WE SAVED LIVES.
Did we endanger others?  Possibly, BUT we all knew the risks involved.

Considering the circumstances, an amazing feat was accomplished in a
minimal amount of time!  So instead of griping, let's all help out in any
way we can!!!

As for Davis Animal Control, I still thank them for what they did to help
these fuzzies.  They didn't know our network was out here, and at first
they were hesitant.  We can't blame them for that.  Look how deceiving
collectors can be.  Animal confiscation is not an easy decision nor is it
an easy task and there are legal complications as well.  I'm thankful that
they did make the confiscation decision and that they did work with us.

Hugs. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart
Ferret Family Services
Please sign up to support our charity