From:
United Ferret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 10:32:59 -0600
I told myself I would not get lured into the FML constant contraversy
again, but I read over todays comments and honest concerns directed at
operation RESCUE UTAH FERRETS and I cannot stand back any longer.  Again,
I commend those who went WAY out of their way to rescue these critters
from the clutches of this horribly selfish person.  No I do not commend
her for releasing these ferrets.  No I do not think she is a heavenly
saint for giving them a home.  No I don't think this lady or the people at
Davis County Animal Control should be given anything more then contempt.

The animal control have known about this inhumane person for almost two
years.  She had been reported not just by me, but by several other people,
some calling in all the way from Texas.  They were an Air Force couple who
tried to adopt from her, while they were stationed here.

Could this have been avoided?  I think so, infact, I will go to my grave
knowing that they could of prevented this.  When we reported her, it was
estimated that she only had about 150 ferrets.  So the other 100 that she
has aquired since then could of been prevented and saved if Davis Animal
Control would of gotten off their butts and investigated her from the
start.  For those of you who may be curious, from day one, this lady gave
all the signs that something was wrong.  If you spoke with her more than
once on the phone, you knew she was not all there and a liar.  She told
people she was a 501, she told people she was the only licensed rescue in
Utah, she told people she adopted out ferrets daily, she took adoption
money from people and never adopted them a ferret.  When Davis County
initially investigated her, they found that she did not even have a
business license, yet she claimed that she did.  But they continued to
allow her to take in ferrets and continue as she always did.

The last conversation I had with this person was when she telephoned me at
U.F.O.  and told me that I was suppose to turn over all my ferrets to her,
that she had a court order from the govenor.  That she was the only state
licensed shelter and she had the states approval.  Well I told her she was
full of shi...... and to never call me again.  I had received phone calls
from people who had contacted her about taking in ferrets.  She took them
telling them that she had to keep the ferret because it had any number of
illnesses.  I asked these people to discribe the condition of the ferrets,
and it seemed that every young ferret taken to her always was diagnoised
with adrenal and could not be adopted out.

I do not want this to turn into a mini-series.  I am concerned that those
who rescued the ferrets did so with honest sincerity in their hearts,
but the panic button was pushed to fast and they are now feeling the
repercusions of going into this blindly.  With all their good intentions
and compassion, many of them are now being forced to close their shelters
or like myself, going to really feel the financial repercussions of
operating a shelter.

So what does all of this mean?  I guess in the future, you should not
allow your emotions dictate your actions.  While many of those ferrets
were rescued and are in a much better place now.  Some of those places
have been contaminated and may be shut down thus closing future rescue
avenues for future ferrets that need rescuing.

One last thing, we should use the FML to help address a universal rescue
and identificaiton program.  What I have witnessed is people from as far
away as Florida coming across the country, during a time when travel was
not easy to help rescue and relocate Ferrets.  The next time a "COLLECTOR"
is identified, or a situation is addressed on the FML concerning such a
large or even small rescue operation, the collective effort of all clubs,
organizations, and ferret parents should combine to get Animal Controls to
react faster when such problems are identified.  Basically, lets all work
together, all the time, not just when there is a crisis.

Thank you for listening,
Rick
U.F.O.