From:
tina wagsatff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 21:42:53 -0700
Please post this on the list.

I am located in Provo, Ut. I work in conjunction with a ferret shelter in
St George, Ut.  We have been contacted by Best Friends Animal Sanctuary to
take in the ferrets from Layton(as of Weds.  evening).  I don't know all
the details or even all the truth.  I have tried to do research as time
will, allow but everyone knows how that is.

At this point I have been told that there are 220+ ferrets that need
homes.  Of those up to about 70 could need medical attention, maybe
surgery.  Best Friends agreed to help foot the bill but they don't have
the experience to care for so many ferrets, thus this is where our shelter
comes in.  We have been told that the ferrets will need to be transported
from Layton (near Salt Lake) to our shelter (southern Utah) but this
doesn't need to be done immediately, soon but not tomorrow.  We have been
told that they DO NOT have cages for transport.  We are in the process of
arranging cages for transport if and when that is needed.  In terms of
housing at the shelter, we have a stand alone building that is currently
being equipped with air so the can be comfortable.  We are planning to
build permanent stacking cages along the walls with a section of the room
made in to a playpen that we can rotate them to for exercise.  What we
need if we do get the ferrets are litter boxes, food dishes, water
bottles, and hammocks(we will be using t-shirts and sweatshirts for now).
Also if anyone has ideas for cheap small toys for the ferrets to keep in
their cages I would like to hear them.

If anyone has space in your shelter(I did write down some offers and will
be contacting you separately) or ideas to help, please feel free to email
me directly

Tina Wagstaff

As I said before we are not sure if we will be getting all, some , or none
of the ferrets.  We have been contacted by Best Friends to see what we
can do.  I will know more in the next day or two.  If you have questions
please contact me directly because I might not have time to keep up with
the list.  It is wonderful to see a community come together in times of
need.  Whether it be national importance or one in the ferret community,
people will reach into their hearts and minds to do what they can.