From:
"Heyn, Ela" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 10:25:49 -0400
>I had a question about Bob's Chicken Gravy.  I wondered (since I don't
>eat meat) if someone could tell me what I could use for "fat trimmings"?
>I don't have any on hand since I don't eat any meat myself.  Is there
>something I could buy that would be a substitute?  I tried asking
>classmates, but no one has time to cook in vet school LOL.

What about coconut oil?  It's solid at room temperature, inexpensive, and
similar to animal fats in that it is a very saturated (or whatever that's
called ..  BAD FOR YOU, in other words! ;->) fat.  I use it to make soap,
and I know my ferrets like the taste of coconut oil "straight".  When I
open my coconut oil containers, I have to literally fight them off because
they try like crazy to lick the lid.  When I finished up my last jug of
coconut oil, I gave them the container when it just had a *trace* of oil
left in it, and my ferrets sat there for about an hour licking it ...

I buy mine in bulk from soap suppliers, but you can also often find it in
the supermarket (its in the ethnic foods section in mine), in health food
stores (sometimes in the cosmetic section as well as the oils section), and
in Indian (Asian Indian) and Middle Eastern markets.  It runs around $2 a
lb. in my grocery store, $4 a lb. in the health food store ..  and it's
about 40 cents a lb. when I buy it in bulk (20 lbs. at a time).

- Ela