From:
Chris Perth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 11:52:09 -0500
Hi you guys!  :-D
Hope you re all doing great, humans and fuzzies (and that all sick ones
are getting better!)

I posted recently about the trouble between the first fuzzies Logan &
Leeloo and the new baby Salma... and then again when Leeloo seemed
depressed, sleeping a lot and losing weight

I m VERY thankful to all of you who sent me the wonderful e-mails with the
tips to help with Leeloo s depression and to accept Salma.  Things are
looking good!

They are sleeping together as I write, and today they played and danced
a little together, first time ever!!!  I m bursting with joy!  :-D
Leeloo s also back to her crazy little self, gained all her weight and
energy back!

One amazing thing that happened (since I started with the extra-effort
cheering her up) was that now Leeloo seems to have turned into a cuddly
fuzzy!  She s the kind of fuzzy who after giving a few kisses soon wants
to be put down to play... Now she s acting like Logan and Salma!
Especially when Salma is around she stays on my lap to be pet for a looong
time!  (smart move, this way preventing temporarily that I give her rival
attention).  Maybe she s extra cuddly cause she s still not too happy with
Salma around, but I make sure she has no need to feel jealous or
anything... (and love being able to cuddle with her so much!) :-)

Another funny thing Leeloo s started doing is hissing at me (she s always
been a pretty quiet dooker & chatterer), and only when I m standing there
ready to separate her from Salma if a fight starts Maybe because when I
scruff her after bad bites I ve been hissing at her too (ok, go ahead and
laugh!!!) but Logan and Salma hiss at her when she s wrestling too rough
and she s still quiet!  It s so funny!  I m just super happy to see them
girls starting to get along and dancing around!  I was so sad thinking
that would never happen or that it would take months!

One last thing... I haven t read any posts for quite a few days because
poor Logan had a very bad bug that lasted almost a week!  It was a tough
battle and I barely slept at all caring for the little guy.  It started
with DIARRHEA!!!

I still don t know if it was some worm that came with a shoe or a fly I
saw in their room the other day (him and the girls were worm-treated just
in case) or if it was some bacteria (like from the water).  Everything
was extra- cleaned, disinfected + boiled (dishes, water bottles).  The
watery-poop was tested (didn t show anything but doesn t mean there wasn t
a worm in there).  I wanted to add that today (more than ever) my heart
goes to all those who have sick fuzzies, because now I really know from
experience how horrible and scary it is to hand-feed/ force-feed them
(meds, electrolyte-fluids, duck- soup + vitamins...) and how incredibly
painful is to see them suffer through weakness, horrible persistent
diarrhea (on the verge of dehydration), shots, losing weight quickly...
And you can see in their sweet eyes how bad they feel, and you keep waking
them up all the time to feed and probe and take the temperature and so on
and still they put up with you showing so much patience and trusting you
(maybe they know we re trying hard to make them better cause we love them
so!?) I ve never been so terribly worried and frustrated (from not being
able to take the nasty bug from him into myself--rather me than see him
suffer like that)!

...and now watching him dance and eat on his own again, and do his crazy
little fuzzy things brings tears to my eyes.  I can t bare to imagine how
painful it would ve been if I had lost him to this!  I just keep hugging
him extra tight (all 3 of them really) and thanking God for not taking him
this time (and also thanking the wonderful shelter lady Petra--from whom
I adopted the 3 sweeties--who even drove over and helped me pull this
trough, bless her heart!), and I pray that all fuzzies out there are
blessed and can recover like Logan did!  I ve got loved ones waiting for
me at the bridge (most loved: dog, parrot, rabbit, degu...), and I hope
it will take a long time until my first fuzzy time comes.

You guys (especially the ones not that experienced like me) please don t
forget to be very careful with any diarrhea or strange behavior of your
fuzzies!  (extra sleepiness, weakness, not wanting to eat or play much)  If
the diarrhea continues for more than half a day or a day (and it s not scary-
poop like black, neon-green or bloody), besides from giving the fuzzy the
right treatment (even if at first baby-food and electrolyte-drink) DO take
him to the ferret-vet, so he can help the fuzzy pull through faster, run
tests, give the right meds and shots so he doesn t get dehydrated or too sick
that it would take too long to recover therefore both of you suffering more
(or worse!).

With these little guys it can become something very serious so quickly!
Scary...
Anyway, sorry this got huge again.

Hugs and dooks to everyone!

Chris, Logan, Leeloo & Salma.